Wednesday, December 10, 2008

A Great Way to End an Unforgettable Year

What an incredible afternoon Sunday, December 7, was! I had sold more than 100 tickets in advance to my first screening to help Ruth and Hoctavia, the two girls in the film, pay for college.

I was hoping I'd get another 30 or 40 people at the door, but never imagined the San Marco Theatre would be nearly sold out. (See pictures below)

When I stood before the audience to introduce the film, I was overcome by emotion. Looking out into the audience I saw many of the faces that have made my life here in Jacksonville so rich. Their presence, support, and interest in the film made this an especially memorable day.

I've shown this documentary at many film festivals in cities all over the U.S., but this screening was different. It was different because I was able to share something I'm very passionate about with people, with a community with which I feel a strong connection. One that in a short period of time I feel very much a part of.

It's been almost a year since I moved to Jacksonville from Washington, D.C. hoping to find a sense of community and a warm and friendly environment which, as a filmmaker, fuels my creativity. I found exactly what I was looking for.

Thank you Jacksonville for your support and generosity. You've helped Ruth and Hoctavia take their dream to the next level and made 2008 one of the best years ever.